Free Health Events on Dec 17 & 22
by Communty Center of St Bernard
Friday, Dec. 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM
Free depression screenings on Dec 17 and healthy eating tips on Dec 22 from 10 AM to noon at the Community Center of St Bernard, 1107 LeBeau St, Arabi.
On Thursday, December 17, 2009, the St Bernard Health Center will partner with the Community Center of St Bernard to offer free, confidential screenings for depression. The screenings will be held from 10 AM until noon at the Community Center, 1107 LeBeau St in Arabi.
Every year millions of Americans are affected by depression, anxiety or related mental health issues. Some of the symptoms of clinical depression include:
* Persistent, sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
* Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism, guilt, helplessness and worthlessness
* Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities, ranging from schoolwork to sex
* Sleeping too much or too little
* Changes in appetite
* Decreased energy, fatigue, and feeling "slowed down"
* Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
* Increased restlessness and irritability
* Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
* Physical symptoms such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain that do not respond to medical treatment
During the St Bernard Health Center screenings, individuals will fill out a self-test and speak with a counselor about their personal situations. On completion of the screening, participants will be able to schedule a follow-up session with the counselor to go over the results and develop a treatment plan.
Then on December 22, the St Bernard Health Center's Healthy Lifestyle Solutions Team will return to the Community Center from 10 AM until noon with helpful hints on how to modify traditional holiday recipes to make them more healthy and flavorful. The team will also discuss how to use proper portion sizes to avoid overeating during the holiday season, and pass out flyers on Tips for healthy holiday eating and appropriate servings.
The Health Center events are free to the public and no appointments are needed. For more information, please phone the St Bernard Health Center at 504.281.2832 or 504.281.2825
LATEST COMMENTS ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
Listed below are the 10 latest comments of 1 posted about this article.
These comments are anonymously submitted by the website visitors.
|it's not free
||Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009 at 6:49 AM